Below is a brief excerpt from Angela Jeffrey's "Social Media Measurement: A Step-by-Step Approach." This is a very practical and useful guide to social media measurement that will immediately begin to help you improve your social media programs. Click here to download it now at the IPR site and get started. If you want to learn more about it first, read our review here. Be aware that the AMEC Valid Metrics Framework that Ms. Jeffrey builds her guide around is now being updated. When complete, changes will be posted on the AMEC site.
[The Eight-Step Social Media Measurement Process is] a process developed by this author to make implementation of the AMEC Valid Metrics Framework simpler, and was based on earlier work done by Katie Paine. This step-‐by-‐step guide not only works through the framework, but also provides comments and suggested tools from industry luminaries.
The Eight-‐Step Social Media Measurement Process
1. Identify organizational and departmental goals.
2. Research stakeholders for each and prioritize.
3. Set specific objectives for each prioritized stakeholder group.
4. Set social media Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) against each stakeholder objective.
5. Choose tools and benchmark (using the AMEC Matrix).
• Public Relations Activity
• Intermediary Effects
• Target Audience Effects
6. Analyze the results and compare to costs.
7. Present to management.
8. Measure continuously and improve performance.
Angela Jeffrey is is the new Managing Director U.S. for Salience Insight. A recognized evangelist, thought leader, writer, and speaker for PR measurement and evaluation, Ms. Jeffrey created PRtrak™, one of the first analysis tools to cover print, broadcast, and internet coverage. Most recently, she founded and managed MeasurementMatch.com, a high-level consultancy matching PR clients with measurement providers. She is a long-time member of the IPR Measurement Commission and participates actively with AMEC North American Chapter.