The people and organizations who are really good at social media get that way with a skillful combination of ease and effort. They finesse the contradiction of working hard to come across as honest and unlabored. As Social News said, "The true key to social media is being exceptional while staying sincere. It's harder than you think."
This mysterious alchemy is something you must perfect on your own, Grasshopper. Yet your path will be clearer if you follow Katie Paine's Top 10 Social Media Keys to Success:
1. Have great content.
2. Ensure that yours is the most interesting voice in the room.
3. Correlate activity with results.
4. Tailor your channels to your audiences.
5. Remember that most people are using social media on mobile devices.
6. Use social media to solve problems, not hawk your wares.
7. Be authentic.
8. Be transparent.
9. Be timely.
10. Be relevant.
(thanks to e27 for the illustration)