So, you're developing your social media presence, perhaps with the help of Katie Paine's Top 10 Keys to Social Media Success. To be sure you don't stumble on the way, here are Katie Paine's Top 10 Social Media Mistakes to Avoid:
1. Using social media without having specific, measurable, goals and objectives.
2. Using old-media strategy: Just pushing news out rather than engaging in conversations.
3. Using old-media metrics: Trying to count eyeballs, AVEs, etc., instead of engagement.
4. Thinking that social media is just a communications or marketing vehicle. It's value is to the entire organization and crosses through all silos.
5. Assuming that people aren't talking about you when you're not listening.
6. Removing posts because you don't like them.
7. Getting into social media without understanding what influences your stakeholders to act.
8. Confusing activity with results.
9. Confusing popularity with influence.
10. Assuming that the value of social media can only be measured by revenue.
(thanks to someecards for the image)