We are pleased to begin a new feature this week, The SocialEyez Weekly Top 5, brought to you by SocialEyez. (Both SocialEyez and KDPaine & Partners are part of News Group International.) The Weekly Top 5 report highlights the five subjects which have generated the largest volume of discussion across Arabic language social media platforms. Here they are for last week:
1. Egypt’s Morsi optimistic about economy despite Central Bank warning.
2. Saudi preacher criticizes Sheikh Mohamed Al-Arifi over anti-MBC3 campaign.
3. Talent show Voice of Hayat turns semifinals episode into a ‘Best of’ episode.
4. Egyptian Preacher Amr Khaled advises his audience: ‘Be yourself, don’t imitate others’.
5. Egypt beats Qatar 2-0 in football.
See the entire report on the SocialEyez blog.
From the report:
Methodology The results above are extracted from thousands of social media sources such as blogs, microblogs, forums, message boards, readers' comment sections on news websites, etc, which are continually updated. A team of Arabic social media researchers and Arabic social media analysts use Arabic Natural Language Processing and data mining tools to analyze the data and to extract the list of top five subjects, based primarily on keyword repetition.
The Weekly Top 5 displays results of the common Sunday-Thursday work week in the Arab world, and is solely focused on Arabic language user-generated results, classified by volume of comments/discussion.
Data is captured primarily from 17 Arab countries in North Africa, the Levant, and the Arab Gulf region, and when relevant, the five other Arabic speaking countries belonging to the Arab League (Sudan, Somalia, Comoros, Djibouti and Mauritania).